‘Surviving Death’ viewers have doubts about whether Dutch medium Nicole de Haas is a fraud or legit. Here’s what we know.

Dutch medium Nicole de Haas has generated a lot of buzz from her appearances on the Netflix smash hit “Surviving Death.”  But has she shown herself to be a legitimate physical medium, or has she revealed herself to be a complete fraud and psychic scam?

We’ve heard from lots of people who have shared different opinions on Nicole de Haas, from being completely convinced she’s a genuine physical medium, to others who thought the show did her no favors in how it portrayed her psychic “gifts”

My reaction in watching the show was quite mixed.  While physical mediumship is in itself a very controversial practice, and while I did find Nicole de Hass quite convincing as a good and sincere person being during the interview segments, I was less impressed with the actual “mediumship” she offered, especially in the segments that covered the different voices/aspects of her physical mediumship.  (the voices to my ear were quite fake and contrived, and to the other people watching with me……the same sense of something being quite cartoonish appeared for all)

Did Nicole de Hass  do “hot reading” on the family featured in the one extended session?  (the mental mediumship demonstration)

I think it’s very difficult to claim someone “cheated” without having actual evidence.  That said, I do think it’s quite telling that the family was quite unimpressed with the session once they saw all of the information available on their respective social media pages (including almost all of the impressive “hits” that seemed quite amazing to see during the reading – only to learn that information was all easily available online)

What do you think about physical mediumship and or Nicole de Haas?  What about the Surviving Death overall?

Comments

• Adriana Looyen

Completely fake. Mediocre actress, eventually.

• goodkarma

Eventually, Adriana – we’re all merely mediocre actresses (and actors) on an insignificant stage that history will no doubt, soon forget – but I take your point on Nicole de Haas.

• Joan Sørensen

I did not think De Haas Seemed genuine. With that said, I went to a group Reading 20-some years ago, where the medium would go In trance and afterwards each of us would get a message from our Guardian spirit. This medium changed Voices, and came with messages like “be good to other people” etc.
    When she was done, my eyes faced the ceiling and all I could think of, was the waste of time and money this evening had been. I thought she was a 100% moneystealing bad actor hoax.
    When the medium started to pass individual messages from Guardian spirits I was Angry with her and gullible me.. She Finally stood In front of me several feet away, and all I felt, was the left side of my body was tingling from head to Toe. And the medium said “your Guardian spirit is touching your left side In Long strokes” – to be honest my mouth opened In that second and my ears closed. So I never Found out What the message was.

• goodkarma

Thank you for sharing that experience, Joan! Very interesting – and i’m sure, many people reading this will find it quite inspirational as well!

• Kyle

yeah the fake voices almost made me laugh. And the fact that she never allowed cameras to film anything that could be empirical. I think there are real physical mediums, but she is not one of them.

• goodkarma

All good points, Kyle. The microscope of public attention has certainly not been kind to Nicole De Haas 🙂 I’m just super surprised that the documentarians, who seem to be sympathetic to the idea that mediumship is “real”, included what was clearly a very hokey, and very cartoonish physical medium to feature on the show. (Leslie Kean shared some of her experiences with physical mediumship in her book, and she claims they were very powerful – but i’m left wondering if she’s much more gullible than I thought prior to watching Surviving Death)

• corinne murray

Until she did the child’s ridiculous voice she had me. No 9 year old boy speaks like that! The performance was so bad it made me cringe. The way she has the first voice introduce the child the sand both times was cringe.
    If she is a real medium, she isn’t doing herself any favours with that over the top display.

• goodkarma

I agree, Corinne! (it was cringe to watch – and running this community – i can tell you, we’ve had a number of others email us to agree) Mostly I’m disappointed in the documentarians – I had heard such great things about the documentary, i’m a fan of Leslie Kean (the author of Surviving Death) – and assumed the mediums segements would be handled with much more intelligence. (for example – you don’t have to believe Joseph Shiel is speaking to the dead per se, but to see him draw who he is seeing while doing a reading – and then seeing the person getting the reading astonished by the resemblance to their loved one – when done well – and when “fraud” is removed from the equation – that’s pretty interesting to both skeptics, and believers alike) But the Nicole De Haas segment(s) reeked of car crash cartoon circus charlatanism of the most embarrassing kind – and it’s hard for me to imagine how anyone didn’t feel that belonged on the cutting room floor. (unless the point was to embarrass the whole operation)

• goodkarma

Thanks so much for the comment – I do agree with some of your sentiments above, but in principle, probably disagree a bit with the notion that all folks who are interested in psychic mediumship, or get some benefit from exploring the idea – are at bottom – credulous rubes who may be deriving value solely as a “harmless” balm to alleviate some grief. ( The Ramtha reference is on point – without knowing much about JZ Knight other than some passing youtube episodes – to my eye, she exemplifies the worst in cartoonish grift and sociopathic spirituality – and the notion that anyone takes her seriously, is a deep mystery to me 🙂 That said, I do think there are some folks who do “channeling” or “automatic writing” or similar sorts of processes that may not be transpersonal in origin – but are worth looking exploring. (Ed and Emily Kelly at the University of VA have written extensively in peer reviewed journals about some of the strange phenomena that emanates from these sorts of personalities – including Stigmata and other weird physical effects that feel of a piece, or at least on a spectrum – with what some channelers are doing)

• KlompendansStem

It’s no different than what J.Z. Knight was doing with the “Ramtha” gig. Interesting anecdote: some time ago, in CA, before a show, J.Z. was caught practising her “ramtha-voice” by her mother, who watched her daughter in bewilderment and some dismay later during the show. But if it helps sad and mourning people to believe in these theatrics, then it’s no different than swallowing a placebo for some ache. And it’s harmless, one might add, as long as the ramtha-character does not provide instructions to kill or maim or serve as a mouthpiece in politics (Ramtha?) And the so-called “channeler” reaps the monetary benefits. Funny how they all speak English, right? Have not met a channeler who has a Dutch-speaking Ramtha or whatever. But wait, I was just now contacted by a spirit! Klompendans wants to talk to you! In Dutch! Tickets for a discount, get ’em now.

• goodkarma

Sorry, my comment above was meant to be as a reply to your thoughts – it got misplaced in the comment thread – but appreciate your comments – and the link as well!